View Single Post
Mayweather vs. Cotto is official....fight 5th may
(#1)
Old
Admin
sparki is on a distinguished road

Chats: 284
Lightbulb Mayweather vs. Cotto is official....fight 5th may - 02-01-2012, 10:10 PM

Mayweather vs. Cotto is official

It’s official. Boxing superstar Floyd “Money” Mayweather will return to the ring, step up in weight and challenge three-division World Champion Miguel Cotto for his WBA Super Welterweight World title in what will be a gargantuan showdown between two future Hall of Famers. Mayweather vs. Cotto will take place on Saturday, May 5 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nev. and will be televised live on pay-per-view. Both fighters have agreed to Olympic-style drug testing for the fight.

In related news, earlier today the Nevada State Athletic Commission voted unanimously to grant Mayweather a one-fight boxing license.

Quotes:

Mayweather: “It will be a challenge for me to compete with him at this weight, but this is the type of test I thrive on and gives me the motivation to train even harder. I have no doubt in my mind that my title belt collection will increase once again and Cotto’s reign as champion will come to an end on May 5.”

Cotto: “I am here to fight the biggest names in boxing. I’ve never ducked anyone or any challenge in front of me. I have accepted everything to give the fans what they like…great and exciting fights. That is what the sport of boxing is all about; making the fights that the fans want and deserve to see. On May 5, stay tuned, because I will convincingly beat Floyd Mayweather.”

February 1st, 2012