Welcome to XMEForums - to start streaming and use our broadcasting tools , please REGISTER by Clicking Here!    
Register Disclaimer Calendar

Torres content with UFC 126 win; White blames Banuelos for crowd disapproval
(#1)
Old
Admin
wolf137 is on a distinguished road

Chats: 496
Post Torres content with UFC 126 win; White blames Banuelos for crowd disapproval - 02-06-2011, 06:20 PM

– Former WEC bantamweight champion Miguel Torres (39-3 MMA, 1-0 UFC) probably isn't used to the boos he was forced to endure during his UFC 126 win over Antonio Banuelos (18-7 MMA, 0-1 UFC).

The bloodthirsty Las Vegas crowd quite simply did not appreciate Torres' unanimous-decision result, despite the WEC import connecting on 87 total strikes – as opposed to just 17 by his opponent – according to a CompuStrike report.

No matter, says Torres. He executed a precise gameplan and is satisfied with the results. So, too, is UFC president Dana White.

"I actually thought that Miguel fought a good fight," White said. "Listen, you're fighting a kid that's [5-foot-3]. Are you going to run in and bang with him? No. You're going to stand on the outside and use your length, and he was busting him up with jabs and right hands."

Torres supported his boss' claims and said that while he wanted to move forward with even more aggression, it's that reckless abandon that cost him in back-to-back losses under the WEC banner.

"I had a gameplan," Torres said. "My first two fights that I lost in the WEC were because I was too aggressive. I was chasing. It was a learning experience for me. Now I'm with a great team in Tristar in Montreal, and I trained a specific gameplan for my opponent.

"I actually got to use my reach and my boxing skill, and it worked out to a tee. I didn't want to chase him too much when I hurt him. I know shorter guys are very dangerous with overhand rights and big hooks."

With the entirety of the 15-minute affair conducted on the feet, Torres used his lanky frame to pepper Banuelos from distance with jabs and straight rights. Banuelos moved continually on the outside, but he found it difficult to close the distance until the final seconds of the matchup.

By then, it was too little, too late. However, White said the closing flurry from Banuelos proved what he could have accomplished earlier in the contest had he fought smarter.

"Actually, my criticism is to Antonio," White said. "You notice he closed the distance that last 10 seconds of the third round? He couldn't do that the first three rounds?

"He stood on the outside of the jab and got picked apart all night, and his corner kept telling him, 'What are you doing? Get inside. Don't stay outside and get picked apart.' If you get hit with those kind of punches, at least get inside and rough him up, too. He did it the last 10 seconds of the third round."

Torres was correctly awarded the unanimous-decision win, claiming all three rounds of the fight on all three judges' scorecards. But the boos that came in throughout the 15-minute affair obviously prevented Torres from fully enjoying his UFC debut.

White believes the disapproving crowd was incorrect in their protests.

"It takes two guys to fight, and I think that Miguel Torres had a good gameplan and fought a good fight," White said. "People get impatient. There was a lot of hype on this card. People expect these guys to just run across the octagon and start going crazy on each other. Guys come in with plans and strategies.

"Listen, they were on their feet, and he was sticking beautiful jabs – cracking him with the jab, hurting him, busting him up, hitting him with right hands. He stayed outside and picked the guy apart. I thought he fought a good fight."